Sunday, May 21, 2006

First Post

Ok, this is my absolutely first post in blogdom.What was the need to lift a finger now, you ask? Well, my parents are visiting and I am rediscovering the pleasures of real Konkani food.Every year I make it a point to note down the recipes and promptly forget it ..the recipe as well as the paper on which it was written.This time though, I decided to make the recipes more permanent, setting the sukkes, ambats and bendis in electronic typeface, relying on google and blogger to retrieve them incase I lose sight of them.
BTW, I think I am very much in tune with the pulse of the Konkani community in starting to write about upkaris and sagles.Check out this
introductory learn Konkani lesson.
Now, I have taken a lot of beginners lessons in foreign languages- Spanish,French and have also grown up learning Hindi,Marathi etc.

Nowhere does a beginner lesson have this!Goes to show how much the konkani has his mind in the butter!

Had your lunch?
= Javan jalwe

What is the curry?
= Randai Kasale

Watch this space as it gets filled with things and ideas related to Konkani food and culture.Repeat after me,no more will we be second banana to any other form of south indian cuisine.In fact any second banana found, should and will be promptly made into koddel ,upkari or shikran depending on how ripe the banana is.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I got married my mother-in-law was worried because I did not know how to cook. One of her cousins told her an easy solution. buy her "DAKSHIN BHARAT DISHES " By Jaya V. Shenoy
This Book is like a bible. Each and every cousins and aunts have this book . The measurement are good this book even tell you how much salt to add.

12:21 PM  
Blogger amchigeli cheli said...

I know,I actually have this book.But I have never looked at it.I am hoping if I force myself to write the recipes, I will retain atleast 10% of it :-)

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know the difference between Kodel,Amabat, Gashi and bendi ?
When some of the konkani's ask me "randai kasane ?" I just tell them "aaji kulit ani spinach galnu randai".I get a response as to "Ambat way ?" I just say yes. I don't know if it is gashi,ambat,Kodel or bendi.

12:23 PM  
Blogger amchigeli cheli said...

Bendi - Mirsang more, Coconut less, tamarind more, lasun tadka

Ghashi- Mirsang less, coconut more, lasun tadka

Ambat- Mirsang less, tamarind less,
onion tadka, add boiled daal

Sagle- mirsang, coconut, red chillis,plus fried coriander seeds and urad daal in masala

koddel is just to confuse us, dont see any difference between the ghashis / bendis and kodels

9:12 PM  
Blogger Varsha said...

Hi
You write well.....to the point yet nice and witty. I was on a look out for some amchigele recipes since I am marrying one amchigelo chelo next year....

Keep up the good work

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogging World!

My two cents As cooked and thought to me by my Bapama(Paternal Grandmother) :)

Gashi = Mirsaang less. Coconut Lots, little bit of tamarind and Saasam(Mustard Seeds)/Karbave(Curry Leaves) Phanna(Tadka) Ground semi coarsely with little water

Bendi is usually made with pulses/Beans only. For Example, Avre Bendi has only Avre(Navy Beans) in it.

Koddel usually has some "Barshi" in it, which basically means, it has an additional ingredient in addition to the star ingredient. For example, Kulitha Koddel usually has suran, any greens etc, along with the Kulith(Horsegram) in it.

The Best Example would be :
Waali Bendi -> only Waali (Chinese Spinach??)

Waali Koddel -> Waali with suran and other Bits

Sagle = Less Coconut, more Red Chillies, Tamarind , dry roasted Coriander Grind Some where between fine and semi Coarse, no tadka , but saasam and karbave fried in oil before adding maasol to it

Sukke = More Coconut, Less Red chillies , Dry Roasted Urad Daal and few Fenugreek Seeds ground very coarsely , tadka-Saasam and karbave.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

you girls rock
:)
in konkani that would translate to
"tumhi cheliyan pathran"
but if this was at Wadala Muth and a local hard-core konkani would say
"tumhi mai pathran"

Isnt it surprising how these blokes out there call the youngest of females "mai"

8:57 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

I landed on your blog when looking for recipes

:)
BTW a joke
K3G - Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam
My father taught my daughter to call the movie - Kabhi Kodel Kabhi Ghashi
:)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aani ek book assa narayani v nayakana baraila megele favorite thendle thalasani

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home