Monday, May 22, 2006

Much ado about bagado

Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was, that they escaped teething.
-Mark Twain

Now you can too!!The following dishes are easily digestible with or without teeth.So the next time, at your grandpa's rummy night you can prepare these dishes.Never mind, if you look at the steps involved in making the bagado u might age overnight yourself.

Tomato Saar
---------------------------
3-4 tomatoes
3 green chilies
hing powder
sambar powder

Boil tomatoes, add green chilies, hing powder, add sambar powder

Tadka
curry leaves
mustard leaves

Bagada Ambat
------------------------
For those of you who do not know what bagado is, it is a red black eyed pea ( as opposed to white black eyed pea).I 'll post a picture when I have more time but till then take my word for it.
If you don't know what a black eyed pea is, quit right now.You have more important things to take care of...If on the other had if you know your peas, go right ahead and soak the bagado overnight.
No, just soaking wont do.It is an involved process

1) wake up in the morning preferably earlier than usual ( you had set your alarm and blackberry for this occasion months ago when you set out to buy the peas right??)
2) soak the bagado in water
3)At night, transfer the bagado MINUS the water into a closed vessel ( a cooker would do just fine).This is a necessary step for sprouting.Who knew?????Resist temptations to bother either the bagado or the cooker.Find something better to do.
4) After they sprout the next day, peel the skin off the bagado

Boil the bagado for no more than 3 whistles.Add salt.

Masala
1 fist coconut grated
3 fried red chillis
very little tamarind
(grind together)

Now add the ground masala to the bagado.

Tadka
finely chopped onion in oil



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well...you are right.. its soo big procedure to peel the bagado. I still remember, when I was a kid, my father, me and my brother all helped my mom to peel them. Those days we used to get our breakfast late because of bagado. But all those troubles are worth the great taste :).My mom's recipe was a bit different, I remember she used onions in it.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Either you have taken your article from www.indianfoodsguide.com/news_feeds/konkani-cooking-blogs/chakuli.html or they have stolen it from you?

3:01 AM  
Blogger Raaga said...

I haven't sprouted bagdo yet... forget skinning the babies :)

4:53 AM  
Blogger french bulldog puppies said...

its been long since i saw a post that's so educative and informational. i will make sure to share this my facebook group. you can also view contents on our websites below.

French Bulldog Puppies For Sale

French Bulldog Breeders

French Bulldog Puppies For Sale Near Me

French Bulldog Puppies For adoption

French Bulldog Puppies


Blue French Bulldog Puppies

10:29 AM  
Blogger sweet dreams cattery said...

persian kittens for sale near me

British short hair kittens for sale near me
British Long hair kittens for sale near me
Maine Coon kittens for sale near me
Maine Coon kittens for adoption near me
persian kittens for sale near me

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home