Thursday, May 25, 2006

Whew vs phew

Writing the last post got me thinking, when would you use whew and when would use phew?
Yeah, my world is plagued by unanswered questions like these.Anyway, here is the answer
Phew- used to express relief or fatigue
Whew- a whistling sound or a sound like a half-formed whistle uttered as an exclamation
-used interjectionally chiefly to express amazement, discomfort, or relief

So u see, whew! can be a Phew! but Phew! cannot be a whew!.
as in
Whew! I am amazed at my findings,
Phew! I am glad this post is over.

11 Comments:

Blogger Vidya said...

honestly I thought I was the only weirdo thinking these things....good to meet you amchigeli....

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I feel that we know each other on a very basic level ??

:))

11:19 AM  
Blogger Omkar said...

Hey I like it. We connect. Also I was looking for some serious good Konkani recipes I was wondering if u could help me. Check my blog sometimes meandmyfrequency.blogspot.com

8:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i found your blog becaus i was googling "phew vs. whew." i wasn't certain that i'd find anything. thanks so much for pondering and posting this.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seems to be a few people wondering if they should use phew or whew! Nice post :)

4:59 AM  
Blogger ebster729 said...

One of life's persistent questions, I suppose. But thanks for helping to clarify that. One distinction down, another yoctillion to go.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Phew! I almost used 'pwhew'. Good thing I googled it first! Thanks for pondering and posting. :)

8:26 AM  
Blogger eruarian said...

Thanks, you just helped me prove my older brother wrong :) kudos

9:08 AM  
Blogger eddie said...

I never understood "phew". NEVER heard it uttered in reality. Have you? Yet so many people use it. WHEW! Glad that's over.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I actually use "phew" quite a bit. Lots of close calls and long days in my life, I guess.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home